LFS install problems

Larry Schmid larry-schmid@home.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:10:10 -0700

> Hi Folks,
> Trying to do a LINUXFROMSCRATCH installation and have run
> into a couple of problems as follows:

Hi Clayton,

I've been involved with LFS for a while now.  I'm not an expert but I've
worked through seven or so installs.  I'll be glad to help where I can.

> 1. When installing "bash-2.04" I get the error that "ltermcap"
>     cannot be found. Not knowing where to look or what to
>     look for is no help.
> 2. When trying to add a "patch" to "glibc-2.1.3" I get that the
>     "command patch" cannot be found.

Sounds like the termcap library is missing?  And "patch," which is a
utility, is missing as well.  It may be that your base system isn't fully
set up for development.

Some questions:

What  is your base system? (distro and version)
Which version of the LFS book are you using?
What step in the book is this failing on?

> I would have used there mailing list for these questions but
> have been unable to get my subscription accepted by their
> mailing list. Tried to get into their archives but that has
> shut down. So this group is my only hope.

You can email Gerard directly and explain the problem with the mailing list:
gerard@linuxfromscratch.org

I just hit the archives without a problem.  Perhaps it was transient?
http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfsdiscuss/

HTH,

Larry