ipchains performance?

Hawke proudhawk19021@home.com
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:53:44 -0700

Jon,
not sure about the stats, but I can tell you that a 100 MHz
486 CPU can more than handle the job with 2 ethernet
interfaces (one for local and the other for internet).

thats about all thats required is a box with DNS, ipchains,
gated/routed and a few other network tools.

there are others in here that may decide to add to this
if I am missing a few items (which I most assuredly may be).

Hawke

Jon Revie wrote:

> I'm looking for a little help finding ipchains statistics.  I've been
> using some simple ipchains rules on personal systems for a while, running
> ipmasquerading and everything, which has worked well.  However, the
> company I work for is thinking about maybe giving ipchains a shot at
> running the company firewall, and they have a much bigger pipe than what
> I'm used to.
>
> Does anyone know what kind of system (processor, RAM, etc) would be needed
> to handle all incoming traffic for a DS-3?  Or if there's anywhere where
> there have been reviews about it's performance against other firewall
> systems for Linux.  I know a lowly 386 can handle a simple 10M of traffic,
> I'm just not sure what is needed to handle a considerably larger pipe.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
> --
> Jon Revie revie@home.com http://www.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/~revie
>
> "Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we
> are losing each year, but I told that story around the camp-
> fire and nobody got scared."  - Jack Handey

Make a few extra $$$.
Join http://www.processtree.com/?sponsor=29027

For information about linux:
Caldera Openlinux: http://www.caldera.com