Embedded Linux

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:53:43 -0700 (MST)

Am 26. Oct, 2000 schwäzte Bret Lowry so:

> I'm interested in Embedded Linux also and am looking for more
> information on the subject other than information provided Corporate
> wierdos trying to market it . I'm looking for any kind of HowTos or
> tutorials on how to get started with it as well as any information as
> to how to go about making a small "personal Distro" but Compressed for
> smaller storage media.

Embedded:

Look at the Linux Wearables HOWTO. If there isn't a link at the LDP,
www.LinuxDoc.org, follow the one to the Linux Laptop HOWTO. Werner does
both. Great info on the Laptop HOWTO. I haven't gotten to the wearables.

Look at the various Linux PDA projects. www.handhelds.org has links to
several. The Linux Laptop HOWTO probably does as well.

Hard Hat Linux from Monte Vista.

Linux Router Project, www.LRP.org

There are several car mp3 player home brew projects out there.

Your own dist:

Look at www.LinuxFromScratch.org and the Linux From Scratch HOWTO.

The Bootable Business Card from LinuxCare.

Several of the HOWTOs cover stuff you'd be interested in. Specifically, I
think there's a Linux boot disk HOWTO.

Tom's Boot/Root disks.

> Also .....Anybody familiar with Direct CD.........? I think it would
> be nice to have Linux run off CD and at the same time be able to save
> to the disk Just like Direct CD does for Wincrap. But this would
> actually be running Linux from the CD and saving to CD.Anyone feel
> like starting a revolution! Oh wait .......Linux is the revolution!

Don't know what direct cd is, sounds like AOHell marketing, but it's been
possible to run Linux off CD for years.

SuSE used to have that as the final CD in their dist, but it was meant to
run in demo mode only, e.g. not for long-term use.

www.LinuxDemo.org is the CDs we plan on giving out at ITEC. I think that's
actually meant to run Linux of CD.

Look at the Bootable Business card from LinuxCare.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  Science is magic explained. - der.hans