DIY SnapServer

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 00:23:17 -0700

Dan Aldrich wrote:

> I've been toying with the idea of making something like
> a SnapServer out of one of my older system parts in a
> small mini tower or pizza box. Once the system is
> built, is there a way to admin the system over the net,
> say thru a browser so you can remove the mouse,
> keyboard and monitor?

/bin/telnet

> Not too sure if this will even boot as most system POST
> complain if the keyboard or mouse is missing. Is there
> a way to circumvent the POST checks?

BIOS is requiring a mouse these days? Thats disgusting.

Since keyboards are sub-$10, you can always pick one up
at a fair or Fry's, and gut it, eliminating all the keys
and cutting away the portions of the PCB used for only
the keys, keeping the basic keyboard circuitry - usually
a single chip and a pair of capacitors or some such. Then
stuff this inside the case with the wire running out a slot
and back into the keyboard plug.

Since a few people have asked about this, I am going to
look into what exactly is required for a keyboard to pass
one of those checks, as well as the avail. of keyboard
chips... it seems to me there is an unmet market for cheap
null keyboards ($2?)

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|