Partitioning Linux

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 22:04:36 -0700 (MST)

Am 07. Oct, 2000 schwäzte John W so:

> I am going to dedicate one to be a Linux only machine and was
> wondering what a decent patition scheme might be on an 8Gig
> drive.Suggestions appreciated.

Make the first partition at the beginning of the disk about 10MB for
/boot. If you're thinking of multibooting with other dists make a couple
more :). Put the rest in an extended partition. Use the front of that for
swap (same swap space can be used by every dist) and split the rest as you
see fit.

It's good to minimally separate the OS from your space, e.g. make a /home
partition.

Separating /usr, /var and /tmp can be good depending on what you're doing
with the box.

For / you should allot 2 to 3 GB depending on what dist you're
using. debian tends to be pretty small. SuSE is really huge. I think
RedHat and Mandrake are middlin. All of them can get huge if you're
planning on trying a lot of things.

The key is that by putting the boot stuff in /boot you're not really
costing yourself anything, but are saving yourself from potential pain.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  A Polish friend of mine got an offer for a free account from AOL. The