ISDN connections

AZ_Pete az_pete@ieee-cas.org
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:50:24 -0700

Hello all,

We have an ISDN connection that we use for Internet connectivity.  Our ISP
is USWEST and I have no complaints with them.  We now would like a
persistent ISDN connection to set up low volume webserver and have found
that the pricing is prohibitive.  However, talking with my USWEST rep, he
said that USWEST doesn't care if I redial as soon I'm disconnected due to
inactivity (around 40 min).  He said that their is a lot of software
avaibable that can monitor the ISDN connection and the second it goes down
it will redial the modem.  Since ISDN connects within 2 seconds this would
be a very good solution.
However, I have no idea what to look for.  The rep counldn't give me any
informatioin, other than he knows Microsoft makes software to handle this
situation.  We have Linux servers and I would prefer a Linux solution, but
if I have to set up a Win box to simply monitor the ISDN connection, I'll do
it.
Does anyone have any input as to the name of any software that can monitor
an ISDN connection and reconnect when the connection is broken.  Any ideas
would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter