pppd failing

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:00:23 -0700

Peter Martin wrote:

> I'm using KDE and Gnome trying to connect to the net. It worked at one
> time, but lately I've been getting errors. One is 'pppd unexpectedly
> failed' after I see the message that it was 'logging onto the network'
> and the other is that 'pppd timed out'.
>
> No apparent cause that I can figure out.

When I was using ppp to connect to the internet, it sometimes randomly
would not work. I would swear there was a pattern to its not working,
but I was never able to nail down quite what it was. I even upgraded
pppd to version 2.3.11 (which was 428k instead of 70k. Sigh...) and
that didnt solve the problem (I dont think the old pppd works at all
with the new kernel. Cant remember now. I just vaguely remember having
to boot with an old kernel to get online and download something, not
sure if it was pppd or something else related to TCP/IP after I moved
to 2.2)

In my recent attempt at adding glibc support ... I have completely
hosed my compiler at the moment. On the other hand, Apache isnt
segfaulting anymore, that stopped after I ran the new ldconfig, after
recieving an email containing the patch - it was an honest-to-god bug
in ldconfig! Now when I try to run glibc stuff, I see the dreaded
_xstat unresoved symbol error in libX11. ... cripes.

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|