It's a sad day........

Gary Nichols gary@linuxchimp.com
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 20:21:32 -0700

A few words on Openmail....

It's a drop-in replacement for Exchange.... almost.  Initial configuration
of the server can be challenging, especially since HP doesn't give the
preview license holders access to certain hotfixes and service packs.  I
setup a complete Openmail server for testing, and while I found it to be
quite cool... it has some drawbacks.

* Web client is nice, but not neatly integrated with the features of the
server like Exchange is.
* No local folder-sync (for laptop users, this is a must)
* Resource scheduling is close but no cigar (conference rooms, etc)
* Integration with sendmail isn't very complete... nasty bugs rear their
head under heavy mailstore load.
* Outlook MAPI drivers are still buggy and drive users to the point of
insanity.

The good news.... these things are supposed to be fixed/included in Openmail
for Linux v. 7, which should be released Q1 of 2001.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.  I've been an HP
OM tester for a year now.

~ Gary