What Distro to use

Donald Martinez donald.martinez@thelinuxstore.com
Thu, 02 Nov 2000 11:07:19 -0700

--------------F4CE7C82C97EC9EBB0206EC5

I do understand that there is support where redhat is concerned and I can see the concern for not using debian because there is no
official support out there. But in the case of Opnix  which is actually using Stormix on some of there machines. Stormix is debian
based, the only real difference is the install and they have some administrative tools which will actually be integrated into the next
stable release of debian (woody). Stormix has it's own tech support as well, just like M$ it is fee based but if you need support you
got it.  So if you love debian, and want the support use Storm. I am not a total advocate of Storm, I do like there product, basically
what I am saying is that if you want to use something that is not Redhat and want to give the checkwriters of the company something to
make them feel warm and fuzzy you can use Storm as an option. There are others out there too like Turbo and Suse, but they are all rpm
based distributions.

Donald

Craig White wrote:

> Bill, I defer to your greater knowledge on things linux and possibly NT.
> Regardless of however we feel about Windows NT, Dell, IBM et. al. have made
> a lot of money selling servers with it pre-loaded.
>
> However, the decisions that business use to choose a distro should probably
> factor in things that might defy what we perceive logical...they might
> consider the number of people out there familiar with distribution, ability
> to obtain tech assistance via a phone call and many others.
>
> I am certain from all that I have read on this message board that debian is
> a much better system for my personal use but that doesn't necessarily extend
> to the choice for a business. Obviously, where JLF is CTO, debian is a given
> but when I'm asked...I know that in a pinch, I can call RedHat.
>
> Craig

Donald Martinez                 mailto:donald.martinez@thelinuxstore.com
Product Manager                 http://www.thelinuxstore.com
TheLinuxLab.com                 http://www.thelinuxlab.com
800-217-9035  ext. 1063         (480) 778-1063 - Direct

--------------F4CE7C82C97EC9EBB0206EC5

I&nbsp;do understand that there is support where redhat is concerned and
I can see the concern for not using debian because there is no official
support out there. But in the case of Opnix&nbsp; which is actually using
Stormix on some of there machines. Stormix is debian based, the only real
difference is the install and they have some administrative tools which
will actually be integrated into the next stable release of debian (woody).
Stormix has it's own tech support as well, just like M$ it is fee based
but if you need support you got it.&nbsp; So if you love debian, and want
the support use Storm. I am not a total advocate of Storm, I do like there
product, basically what I am saying is that if you want to use something
that is not Redhat and want to give the checkwriters of the company something
to make them feel warm and fuzzy you can use Storm as an option. There
are others out there too like Turbo and Suse, but they are all rpm based
distributions.
linux and possibly NT.
made
ability
is
extend
a given
Behalf Of Bill
if your mail
if your mail doesn't post to the list quickly and you use Netscape to write
mail.

<pre>--&nbsp;
Donald Martinez&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A HREF="mailto:donald.martinez@thelinuxstore.com">mailto:donald.martinez@thelinuxstore.com</A>
Product Manager&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A HREF="http://www.thelinuxstore.com">http://www.thelinuxstore.com</A>
TheLinuxLab.com&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A HREF="http://www.thelinuxlab.com">http://www.thelinuxlab.com</A>
800-217-9035&nbsp; ext. 1063&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (480) 778-1063 - Direct</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

--------------F4CE7C82C97EC9EBB0206EC5--