sun sparc

Mike Starke mgcon@neta.com
Wed, 24 May 2000 18:56:53 -0700 (MST)

Hope this isn't too off topic (it is a *nix).

I have just aquired a Sun Ultra Sparc that I need the readers
digest version on how to get the ethernet interface settings
changed.

My linux knowledge is only carrying me so far :-(

I have issued the command:
ifconfig hme0 down <- it dropped the current interface
I then tried:
ifconfig hme0 192.168.4.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.4.255
ifconfig hme0
It appears as if the settings I added worked.

I then tried:
route add default gw 192.168.4.1
It did not like that or any combination of the above line.

I then telnet'd to my ISP to fire up Pine and ask you
fine folks what to do.

I am sure I can dig around, do some grepping and find
the files (possibly under /etc/inet/ ?) to edit the files
and reboot.  Which I will eventually have to do. I also
would like to know the ifconfig and route commands to throw at
it on the fly.

I am logged in as root on a serial terminal and my
vi <filename> pulls up many files as read-only
(i.e. inetd.conf, hosts, etc) Is it normal to have
444 as the perms on the file? Should I just toggle
over to chmod 644 <filename>, make the edits, then
chmod 444 <filename>?

Many questions I have, Hope this is not off topic to prohibit
me from geting help.

Mike
mgcon@getnet.com
http://www.getnet.com/~mgcon