Linux Job Order

Carl Parrish cparrish@computerprep.com
Tue, 23 May 2000 22:02:44 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: der.hans <PLUGd@LuftHans.com>
To: <plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2000 5:24 PM
Subject: RE: Linux Job Order

> On Tue, 23 May 2000, Lucas Vogel wrote:
>
> > From my experience w/contracting and the employers who hire them, the
> > 3 keys to successful employment are brevity, brevity and brevity. The
> > employers that IT firms often recruit for are very fickle and look at
> > resumes very briefly. Keeping your resume size to 1 page, highlighting
> > experiences that are most applicable to the job being applied for, is
> > what they're looking for. Employers quickly get turned off on
> > voluminous(is that a word?) resumes with years and years of experience
> > that they have to sort through to find out whether you have the skills
>
> Ah that's bad presentation. If you can get through HR to the engineering
> managers, then the longer resume can be a big bonus. You still need to
> find a way to emphasize the skills they're looking for ( or the work
> conditions you're willing to accept, depending on your skills and the type
> of employer you're looking for :). I've only got experience with a couple
> of places, but in engineering they wanted more info, the spec if you will
> :). Also, if there were things left unanswered in the resume, the managers
> wanted to know the missing details. If you feel confident about your
> interview skills it's a way to shine :).
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans
> --

My solution to this has been a one page resume with all the buzz words
Engineering has told HR to look for, and a link to my website where I have
demonstations of using said technologies. This allows me to both meet the
one page requirment and provide more details. *Warning* any Engineering dept
with half a brain will test you on those buzz words so don't provide them if
you don't know them.

Carl Parrish
Webmaster
ComputerPREP.com