firewall dillema

James Lee Bell jbell@eai-healthcare.com
Tue, 23 May 2000 15:42:46 -0700

Newbies babbling at newbies... it's a scary thing. ;-)  At any rate, I
missed a huge chunk between non-security minded users having more pull
and the options. What are the lusers wanting exactly?  What OS are you
running on the DMZ machines, and what kind of access are they wanting to
them?  It seems like they're wanting to be able to map drives to these
machines (maybe just the web machine)?? For what purpose? And (this is
my boss' favorite) what is the *compelling business reason* for
endangering company resources, equipment and information?

If I'm guessing correctly here, what about option 3 (teaching them how
to use CuteFTP or similar), or option 4 (the scariest if you're not
careful, put whatever machine they "need" access to inside the firewall,
give it's public IP to the firewall's public nic (think multihome), and
tell the firewall to forward traffic on that IP of the correct protocol
(i.e. port number) to the now internal machine).