partition formatting/jpg compression questions

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Sun, 21 May 2000 19:30:13 -0700

On May 21,  5:17pm, Lucas Vogel wrote:

> Well, I'm seriously thinking of formatting my fat partitions into
> ext2fs(thereby effectively removing completely my M$ stuff), and I was
> wondering if there was a way to do this without destroying all of the files
> on there. I have 2 or 3 partitions with music and .jpg files, and the
> partitions have so much data on them that I won't be able to move them to
> another partition. Can I format these without moving/losing the data?

I don't know of any way to reformat the partitions without first
moving the data.

If you have a free partition, you might try formatting that one as an
ext2 partition, then copying one of your fat partitions to the new
ext2 partition.  Then format the fat partition as ext2 and repeat
until you're done.

If you don't have a free partition, perhaps you could make one by
backing up just one of the partitions up and then doing the above.
(Actually, you'd be wise to back up the entire thing before you
start.)

Disk drives are cheap enough these days that you might also want
to consider just getting another disk...  (check the Fry's ads)

Kevin

--
Kevin Buettner
kev@primenet.com, kevinb@redhat.com