user web pages.

datawolf@ibm.net datawolf@ibm.net
Thu, 18 May 2000 00:30:56 -0700

The default home directory settings on RedHat are 700, which means that
only the owner can see what's in it, or any of it's subdirectories.
This includes the public_html subdirectory.  To make the public_html
directory available to the web server, you have to give everyone some
minimal access to your home directory, e.g. 701, I believe.  This is a
security risk, because then you have to keep track of the permissions on
all your subdirs to make sure nobody can get to them.  Personally, I
keep a subdirectory in /home/httpd with each user having a directory
there.  If you make a symlink in your home directory, it's not any less
convenient, either.

-BVG