ipop3d and APOP

sinck@corp.quepasa.com sinck@corp.quepasa.com
Mon, 15 May 2000 10:11:48 -0700 (MST)

\_ >From what I understand, APOP uses encryption to authenticate
\_ pop users, yet I can not find any documentation on how to
\_ implement it. I am running ipop3d as the deamon, and all it says
\_ is that APOP support is already compiled into it.
\_
\_ Anybody care to give me a hand.

On a WAG, you just have to check the 'use encrypted authentication' on
the client.

Basically, IIRC, the pop convestation runs along these lines:

telnet popserver 110
c: user sinck
s: ok [or something equivalent]
c: pass my_pop_pass_here
s: ok 24000 messages
c: retr 1
s:
message
one
here
.
c: quit

For authenticated pop, instead of issuing the 'pass' command,
there would be some sort of encryption of the password and have it
sent with the 'auth' command.

David