warning in /var/log/messages

Datawolf datawolf@ibm.net
Sun, 14 May 2000 13:49:02 -0700

Could be:
(1) Your two IP's are the same
(2) They're both trying to use the save device, e.g. eth0.

To check #2, look (supposing you're using RedHat) in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.  There should be two file in there
called ifcfg-eth0 and either ifcfg-eth1 or ifcfg-eht0:0.  Make sure that
the DEVICE line in each file corresponds to the actual filename.  It is
the DEVICE line, and not the filename, that determines the device.

(3) You may be trying to use IP aliasing but don't have it compiled into
your kernel.  IP aliasing is when you have multiple IP's on a single
NIC.

-BVG