New Distro and a Howto question

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Thu, 4 May 2000 01:19:06 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Austin Godber wrote:

> Take a look at the file /etc/inittab:
>
> # /etc/inittab: init(8) configuration.
> # $Id: inittab,v 1.8 1998/05/10 10:37:50 miquels Exp $
>
> # The default runlevel.
> id:2:initdefault:
>
> # Boot-time system configuration/initialization script.
> # This is run first except when booting in emergency (-b) mode.
> si::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS
>
> See a few lines down where is says default runlevel.  Change the 2 to a 3
> should work.  Or you can just yank out the link to /etc/init.d/xdm from
> /etc/rc2.d/  But I dont think thats the nice way to do it ... then you
> have kind of violated the whole runlevel thing.

Well, that's the thing. 2 should give you full functionality, but no X. X
should be started with runlevel 3 or 5. 2 being with X and 3 w/o is like
walking before we crawl :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.OpNIX.com
#  Stell dir vor, es ist Krieg und keiner geht hin...