Auto Running

Don Harrop don@nis4u.com
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 17:45:11 -0700

**Attention Newbie Question**

 \ | /
(.)(.)
\__/

I've been trying to learn about how all the processes are started during
bootup.  I learned several things already but there are some holes in my
knowledge.  :-(  First of all I've got RH6.1.  The /etc/rc.d/init.d
directory has a lot of scripts that are responsible for starting services.
I can run them seperatly and it seems to shut down and restart the
processes.  I'm assuming that these are the same scripts that are run at
bootup, but how.  Does the rc.sysinit file start everything?  If I wanted to
insert a process of my own or stop one from starting what's the best way to
do that?

Don