Cox Cable Modem

Furmanek, Greg Greg.Furmanek@hit.cendant.com
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 16:13:10 -0500

http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/LINUX/TrinityOS.wri

Happy reading.

The Wolf

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael J. Schweppe [mailto:schweppe@schweppe.org]
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2000 1:52 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Cox Cable Modem

Cox is running an install special on their cable modems.  In the past
the cost was prohibitive for me and I never thought much of getting a
cable modem.

Presently I have a stand alone Linux RH 6.1 and a Windows/RH 6.0 dual
boot.  Both have USR 56K Externals.

If I had a magic-wand I'd like to have both machines have the cable
access.  Can I have the cable modem on one machine [say the dual-boot]
and then have the Linux box connected to the dual boot [or the other
way around]?  I was told that Cox technicians are
parnoid/concerned/afraid of Linux machines for various reasons.  What
should I say about my Linux OS?

Also,

1. What information should I look up/read on networking and security
issues [How-To's]?

2. What would be the best configuration with the equipment I have?

3. What equipment would I need to purchase [aside from the modem
lease]?

BTW, it is not my intent to run a web server [at least not now :-) ],
just capitalize on the quicker access.

Thanks,

Michael