pcanywhere

Chad Cranston ccranston@vistavdi.com
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 12:05:39 -0700

Joel   ,
Just thought that i would let you know an even easier more secure way to
accomplish the same task.

I have been using VNC which is a cross platfrom pcanywhere on my
window's box at home ..from my linux box at work for a couple months now
... until i got my linux ipchains firewall/NAT up ..then i got concerned
about security ... so i looked into tunneling VNC over SSH ... it's
really easy .. it's FREE ...which you just can't beat.

So the skinny on how i did it ... for anyone out there trying to
accomplish this task ..

1.  If you are on a linux box at work (which i hope you are all on :) go
to www.freshmeat.net and search VNC .. get the VNC for windows part on
yoru windows box installed as a service.

2. get the linux piece and install it ... install SSH .. (we want to
encrypt it ) since you know that PCAnywhere is both expensive buggy and
very insecure :)

3. From your linux box ssh to your firewall .. then run the vncviewer
from your linux box ...
bam !.. you have a remove window secured via ssh and it's FREE  !!.. and
no more port forewarding ...

If you have any questions or you do something even cooler .... please
let me know

Chad Cranston
Network Admin
ccranston@vistavdi.com