du -dirs

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 23:16:10 -0700

Hmmm.....
Don't know about any pre-existing tools.

It's late and I shouldn't even be attempting this.
I am doing this off the top of my head so it may
or may not work. YMMV. Contents may settle in shipping,
safety glasses should be worn when operating, etc.
Some modified version of the scribble below should work.

cd $DIR
tar tvf file.tar > FILE.LIST
tar xvf file.tar
find . | grep -v FILE.LIST | wc -l
cat FILE.LIST | wc -l

It seems like on Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 10:16:21PM -0700, der.hans scribbled:
Orig Msg> that I think as well as put together 10 or 20 lines of code. Why should I
Orig Msg> go to soooo much effort if there's already a tool to do this? ;-)
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Actually, it would require me to figure out how to get du to provide the
Orig Msg> desired functionality and get it added, but if the gnu toolset already has
Orig Msg> something to do this, that's what I should use.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> cioa,