net2phone

Tim Weaver Tim.Weaver@visitalk.com
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 09:43:06 -0700

For Net2Phone's PC-Phone service, I have not actually tried it since it
costs money and I won't "charge" the account I created.  Their PC-PC
service, which is "free", works pretty well, since they carry their own
traffic.  One issue with the PC-PC service is that you need to know the IP
address of the person you are going to call...there is no "phonebook" for
IP-based call recipients.  Thus, it is geared mostly for the PC-Phone
market.  A friend who has it who call his family in Kazakhstan says it works
pretty decently.

Net2Phone seems to have the advantage when it comes to international
long-distance, followed by deltathree.com.

If you are looking for PC-Phone, try Dialpad.com.  Since it uses a small
java-applet as its calling client and runs the rest of the H.323 protocol on
its servers, you might be able to get away with using it with a java-enabled
Linux web browser (Netscape comes to mind and is 'required' (or M$ IE) to
use the service), however I haven't tried this since my Linux box isn't
fully functional yet.

For Long DX PC-Phone to UK, France, Switz or Netherlands, try myfreeld.com.
It uses, Netmeeting, however, and I don't think M$ has created a Linux port
for that.

There is an open H.323 project, located at www.openh323.org, I believe.  the
client there works OK, but not great, and can enable video calls as well.

Hope this helps.
Tim Weaver
Business Intelligence Analyst
visitalk.com