Help?

Furmanek, Greg Greg.Furmanek@hit.cendant.com
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 11:45:06 -0400

I know exactly what you guy are going through.
It is a vicious circle:

This is what I have heard on all my interviews:
1. You need a degree.
2. You need 2 years of experience.
3. We do not want to put time or money into training you.

I got lucky.  I got a job in one of those
mom & pap computer shops which jumpstarted the
interest of others.

If you want to do the development itself it is
good to start in some QA department and then
move towards programming.

If you want sysdamin position it seems the easiest
way to do it is to work in one of the hardware
shops and take a lot of Unix/NT classes.
Volunteering your time to some places as a sysadmin
will bring experience you can put on the resume.

Sometimes it is good to go to a company which
has a development / support department in them
and get a different position and then advance.
(This is not easy but possible.)

The Wolf