trouble getting Linux installed

Barnett, Blake bbarnett@bloodsystems.org
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:36:00 -0700

RH 6.2 picked up everything in my system on the install, SB Live, Monitor
(Brand new ViewSonic PF795), Video Card (Diamond Viper 550 - nvidia TNT),
and all my partitions on a 13GB WD HD.  Although I didn't use more than /,
/usr, /home, /var, & /tmp.  Just FYI.

As far as your HD goes, it may be that the bios settings and the linux
settings do not match.  Worth a look.  Maybe you should set the settings
manually in the bios.

To fix your monitor just get the info for it, (vert & horiz refresh rates).
And run xf86config or XF86Setup.

The video card is most likely just a driver issue, and for better support, X
4.0.1 (installed from the binaries) worked like a charm on some other S3
cards I have.

To be honest, the fact that it installed my SB Live on install was a real
shocker, as I had spent countless hours previously trying to get it working
with Alsa, and OSS, with various degrees of success.  As far as winmodems, I
have a Creative 56k ISA plug & play in there, but I haven't attempted to use
it, because I have Cable.

*  Blake