MAJOR Console Errors

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 09:42:22 -0700

On Jul 30,  4:12am, C0DEMASTR@aol.com wrote:

> ... I decided to move some images from my root directory to my images
> directory and I used the command 'mv * /graphics' So now as you can imagine I
> am in the console blind. I have no ls, cp, mv, mount, dir, or anything useful
> except I am in BASH. Does anyone know how I can regain control of my system?
>
>     What I have tried so far: I can cd into /graphics/bin where it got moved
> to and BASH says stuff like ls is not a directory when I try to cd to it, but
> I cannot run anything.

Zach,

cd is a shell builtin.  That's why cd still works.

I think that all you need to do is add /graphics/bin to your PATH and
then cp, ls, mv, etc will work again.  I.e, do

    export PATH=/graphics/bin:$PATH

Once you do that, you'll need to move /etc, /bin, /usr, et al. back to
their proper locations.  (But you've probably figured that out already.)

If that doesn't work, or if you've already shut off your system, you
can still repair things by using a rescue disk.  The one that I like
is tomsrtbt "The most Linux on 1 floppy disk."  You should get one
of these two files:

    ftp://www.toms.net/rb/tomsrtbt-1.7.205.tar.gz
    ftp://www.toms.net/rb/tomsrtbt-1.7.205.dos.zip

Tom's web site is http://www.toms.net/rb, but it *does not* have links
to the latest version.  And, unfortunately, the previous version does
not work well with filesystems created with recent ext2 tools.  So
get version 205 from his ftp site instead and all will be well.

Best of luck getting your system repaired...

Kevin