imap server

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 14:33:58 -0700

Sigh.

What does one thing have to do with the other?

In the "big picture" for a given project, the
cost of the software slice of the pie is next
to NOTHING.  If you have to pay $4,000 for M$
licenses, the other costs associated with that
project will FAR exceed $4,000.

The reason that I CHOOSE to implement FreeBSD
as a server OS is NOT because it is free (as
in free beer), but rather because

     1.  It's Unix.
     2.  The applications that I want to
         run run on FreeBSD.
     3.  I have the source.
     4.  It's incredibly stable and reliable.

OK, now that the OS selection is done, the
fact that it HAPPENS to be free beer makes
it that much better.

Now, apply similar criteria to the applications.
The ideal situation is a product that's incredibly
stable and reliable, the source code is there
for all to see (ideally under a BSD-style license,
but GPL would be OK), it provides all of the
features and functionality that you require
of it, is configured via a virtual reality voice
recognition system ("Work perfectly, now and
forever."), and is free beer.  Guess what?  You're
probably not going to find the ideal.  If you
find an outstanding system that meets a lot of
the ideal criteria, but just happens to not be
free beer, then JUST PAY THE MAN.

If you want an e-mail system that costs nothing,
there's only one solution:  Don't have an e-mail
system.