DSL question from a newbie

Jonathan Furrer jonny@jofu.com
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:57:35 -0700 (MST)

Hmmm, I use and love DSL, of course my company picks up the tab so I don't
see the costs :-) In the end I think DSL will win out the battle between
it and cable. The question becomes do you want shared bandwidth or is it
important to you that your pipe is your pipe? At the same time, if all
thats available in your area currently is IDSL, but cable is also avail,
go with cable, IDSL is one of the stupidest (in my very humble opinion
:P) connecvtivity inventions ever. Also, Blake made the point, but cable
is better for the user who isn't running a server and just wants some
speed to go play on the net with, where DSL is for the user who might be
running some servers, and feels obsessed with the stability of their
bandwidth and link :-) Oh and as far as cable and linux, yes its capable,
in fact I believe theres an entire cable and Linux howto. Both of these
technologies (if using an external modem on DSL) connect to your computer
via ethernet. From there the requirements may be either that you enter the
IP info supplied, or that you run dhcp to grab that info. Linux is capable
of either.

my two cents, don't attack me for it :-)

Jonathan Furrer
jonny@jofu.com
http://www.jofu.com/