useradd

Tim M. Sanders tsanders@mvista.com
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 13:01:53 -0700

You could write a simple tcsh (csh) script:
#!/bin/tcsh

# assume username and passwords in seperate files
set usernames=`cat usernamefile`
set passwords=`cat passwordsfile`

set passwdindex=0
foreach user ($usernames)
    # add the first user
    /usr/sbin/useradd $user -p ${passwords[$passwdindex]}
    # increment the index
    @ passwdindex = ($passwdindex + 1)
end

that should do it.  If the username/passwords are in the same file, then adjust
the beginning to the known file format.

I thought useradd took unencrypted passwords by default.  Are you logged in as
root?

Don Harrop wrote:

> I've got a ton of users to add on a particular linux box.  I have all the
> usernames and passwords..  I'd like to create an executable file that will
> run useradd and insert everyone into the machine.  I can't figure out how to
> make useradd take unencrypted passwords at the command prompt though.  Any
> ideas?
>
> Don

-
Tim M. Sanders