Minor boot problem

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 02:29:56 -0700 (MST)

Am 20. Jul, 2000 schwäzte Mark Berkwitt so:

> When I boot I get the following:
>
> hda: Maxtor [something], ATA DISK drive
> // Here there is a pause for almost 1 minute
> hdd: no response (status=0xd0), resetting drive
> hdd: CREATIVE CD1220E, ATAPI CDROM drive

These last two would say to me that there's a prob with the cdrom. Have
you tried booting with it disconnected?

Did you have another drive as the secondary ide master that is now
missing? Don't know what that does to an ide sub-system, but I think you
have to have a master if you have anything at all, e.g. changing the
jumpering on the cdrom to make it a master might fix things.

hda = primary ide, master
hdb = primary ide, slave
hdc = secondary ide, master
hdd = secondary ide, slave

No diff between hard disk and cdrom for ide device numbering. Do you have
any other hard drives/cdroms plugged in? What your showing would say to me
that you don't.

> This is caused by the fact that once, my Red Hat 6.2 partition was on a
> separate hard drive and was later copied to space on my new Maxtor.  All
> the old hard drives were consolidated onto the Maxtor.
> I would like to fix this but I don't know how.

If you copied things, made sure /etc/fstab was correct and reran an
appropriately configured lilo you should be ok.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  A t-shirt a day keeps the noose (tie) away. - der.hans