Diskless Linux

foodog@uswest.net foodog@uswest.net
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 01:12:00 -0700

  We used to boot DOS/Win3 and Macs using bootROMs.  The
ones I liked the best were from a Canadian company called
LANWorks, the product was called BootWare - I think they
were swallowed by 3Com a few years ago.

  If you go to Intel's web site and search on "PXE" for Pre
eXecution Environment, you should be able to download a
development kit for programming bootROMs that includes a
TFTPD daemon for Linux.

  The nice thing about the BootWare ROMs was that they were
configurable from both the keyboard and a DOS program.  You
could select the ethernet frametype, whether or not to use
their proprietary system called MSD (don't remember it's
specifics) and another set of utilities (multiboot) that
would give you a boot image that displayed a menu of
available boot images.  Fun stuff.

Steve