Which NICs would be best.

foodog@uswest.net foodog@uswest.net
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 10:48:57 -0700

  My experience has been that 3Com makes a dandy 'munitions
grade' nic.  Easy to find, widely supported, very reliable -
particularly the Etherlink III series.  My firewall has a
3C595 that came with the box and a 3C509, FWIW.  I really
like the 'Intel Pro100B' for stuff that matters.

A quick web search sez the RealTek 8029 chipset is very much
like the Ne2000.  If you've got 'em just sitting there
looking at you I'd use them.

P.S. I wouldn't be too quick to criticize any hardware just
'cause it appears to make Win9x crash and burn.  You might
want to boot into 'safe mode' and delete references to
network hardware from the registry then plug'n'pray again.
If/when it refuses to acknowlege hardware, take a look under
'unknown devices' too... (Gawd, how I loath MS engineers -
"Locating driver for Unknown Hardware.")

Steve