Daemons

Mike Cantrell yomahz@devnull.org
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 23:21:14 -0700

ugh.. this has got to stop...

Most distro's keep startup scripts in /etc/rc.d (some are rc<runlevel>.d).
Assuming that the first is true, there should be dir's under that which
indicate the runlevel (see below) and contain some oddly named scripts:

scripts starting with S are startup scripts
scripts starting with K are shutdown scripts

There are numbers after the S or K to indicate the order in which they
should be executed. You will mainly be interested in runlevels 2 or 3 (check
man init for your systems details).  If you don't want a deamon to start,
remove it from the dir.

Also, some systems have scripts that start with a P wich means that they run
in parrallel (they don't wait for the previous script to finish before the
next one starts).

You may also notice that these scripts are usually all linked to the init.d
dir. The S or K inidicates how the script is called. S means that the script
is executed by calling "<scriptname> start" and the K means that the scipt
is executed by calling  "<sciptname> stop". Most scripts have other
functionality as well (such as <scriptname> restart).

Even more info is available from the inittab man page.

Regards,
Mike Cantrell