duplicate RPMs installed

Barnett, Blake bbarnett@bloodsystems.org
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 08:40:42 -0700

I'm glad to see an effective use of the tools they have provided.  It's a
great idea and it's cool to see someone actually doing it in a large
environment.  Here we just use the Compaq Tru64 package system.   It does
all the dependency checking etc.  But it would be nice to have a global
system.  Unfortunately, I believe Compaq's system is combined with their
licensing scheme.

*  Blake

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael F. March [mailto:march@indirect.com]
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2000 8:30 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: RE: duplicate RPMs installed

> Part of the value of linux to me is as a home unix platform that I can use
> to interact with other unix platforms, and rpm/deb etc aren't available
> anywhere else.  When the day comes that ALL platforms have a
> unified package
> system, I'll jump on the bandwagon.

Here at Earthlink the engineering group uses DPKG format for *all* Unix
based
release engineering. This means that whatever comes from our software
group for *ANY* Unix platform we use (Solaris, Tru64, Linux, FreeBSD, BSDI,
etc) we have a process for creating and releasing a DKPG for that software.
The great thing about DPKG/rpm/etc is that it creates a clean method for
handing off programs between our engineering and sysadm departments. We even
create DPKGs for software for 3rd party software that we deploy internally.

Seriously, package management with the above tools when used correctly is at
first *more* work upfront but it pays off in the long run.