modelines for Sony CPD-E400

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 16:59:27 -0700

On Jul 3,  4:38pm, Ed Cernek wrote:

> I have been able to get my Sony CPD-E400 (19") monitor working with
> Linux by messing around with default modelines, but I am sure the
> situation is not optimal. It looks pretty raggedy at 1280x1024 and
> above; the left side of the display sort of tears a little and there are
> left-right, up-down offset issues as well. I tried the Sony website and
> their tech support 800 number: nobody seems to have heard of Linux. The
> phone-drone even said I would have to talk to Microsoft about X-windows
> issues. I politely said that X-windows had nothing to do with M$. I know
> the monitor is CAPABLE of working very cleanly at up to 1600x1200 at
> non-interlaced high refresh rates because it works well with W98.
>
> Any help or pointers greatly appreciated. No W98 flames or sermons,
> please.

If you have the monitor specs, it's possible to compute custom
modelines for your monitor.  I've done this before with good results.
The following file will help immensely with this endeavor:

    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/VideoModes.doc

The other option is to run xvidtune and fiddle with the modeline values.
You'll probably be able to make more intelligent use of this facility
if you first read VideoModes.doc.