New hdd, moved RedHat partition, floppy boot won't.

Mark Berkwitt mark.berkwitt@home.com
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 15:47:49 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Buettner" <kev@primenet.com>
To: <plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2000 3:20 PM
Subject: Re: New hdd, moved RedHat partition, floppy boot won't.

> Mark,
>
> My recommendation at this point is to not modify your old boot disk.
> Instead, use it once (or twice as necessary) to boot using the "linux
> root=/dev/hda2" command.  Once linux comes up, fix your /etc/fstab
> entries by hand.  (Use vi or some other editor.)  I suspect that
> the reason X isn't coming up is that one or more filesystems are not
> getting mounted.
>
> Then make a brand new boot disk using "mkbootdisk" and keep your old
> boot disk as a spare.  (Just remember to use the "root=..." option if
> you ever need to use it again.)
>
> Also, it is well worth it to download tomsrtbt even if you don't need
> it at this point.  You should attempt to boot it and play around with
> it just so that you can find your way around in the event that your
> system ever needs rescuing.
>
> Kevin

I tried changing /etc/fstab earlier, but that darned "Read-only file system"
stopped that right away.  Is there a parameter I can use with 'linux
root=/dev/hda2' that will put me into write mode.  When I boot this way I'm
asked for my root password which I give but I don't have root privelages.
If I type '#whoami' I get 'root' but I still can't edit that file??
#vi /etc/fstab allows me to view without it seems changing it.  But wait, I
recall it said to use '!' to override that.  I tried and still got
Read-only...
Mark