fun with RedHat

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 11:48:38 -0700

Agreed, with the possible exception of Debian if
you're doing (daily|weekly) OS upgrades to keep
everything up to date.  apt seems to "just work."

Also, for "full blown" OS upgrades (like, say,
an increment in the major version number), using
two hard disks can make the transition entirely
painless.

Since it can take some time to get all of the
packages properly configured exactly the way
you want them, and since there are times when
you need your system to be available, I unplug
my old disk, plug in a new disk, install the
base OS and all of the packages I need on the
new disk and start configuring.  If at any time
I really need my system available (to get a file
for someone or to look something up on the net),
I just switch back to my old disk and voila!
*NOTHING* has changed, and I'm fully operational
with the *EXACT* system I had before.  Worst
case, if the new install is not working out,
I can just abort the whole attempt and nothing
will have changed (except the output of "uptime").
When the new disk is totally configured and ready
to go, I plug in both disks and just transfer any
needed data from the old disk to the new disk.

Ja, ja, one could do something similar with
partition finagling or LILO finagling, but
for me I get a stronger false sense of security
knowing that my current system is totally unplugged
thus reducing the likelihood that something on
it will be changed.