Freesco - boot failure

Gene Holmerud geneous@bigfoot.com
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:43:58 -0700

I downloaded, RTFMed, booted and tried to get to the configuration
steps.  Unfortunately, I received the message
"Can't stat directory /mnt/router"

This occurred to someone else who posted on the Freesco forum.  The
answer was either a corrupted disk or low on memory.  Both of these
are not too likely based on further testing.  Perhaps someone in plug
has worked thru it.  Here's the story:

Console log:
Starting [Linux]
Starting sys/klogd on tty3...   done
Mounting boot device fd0...   done
Can't stat directory /mnt/router
mnt  /router/v_*: No such file or directory
exec: /mnt/router/rc/rc_init: no such file or directory
.: can't open /etc/system.cfg
@df
File System       1024-blocks      used      available      capacity
    mounted on
/dev/ram0           2548                   15402    1046
59%              /
/dev/fd0             1424                   1373      50
    96%             /mnt
@

Provlem solving done thus far:
1) I expanded the RAM from 8M to 20M, but no change, not even
/dev/ram0 numbers.
2) I tried same floppy on another system (16M) and it got past the
above and to the login prompt.  However, that's my GNOME development
platform, not the router/fw/masquerade I'm building.
3) Yes, the computer looks suspect.  No HD nor CDROM.  It's a 486DX-
33 with a 1993 AMIBIOS.  The Floppy controller is a SIIG model SI-
1132+.  But, hey, isn't minimalism what this is all about?
4) I booted RH 6.2 install disk and ran as far as it asking which
language.  The computer will also boot W98SE's Emergency disk and
create a C-drive (RamDisk), so it's not a total dog.
5) Yes, I will pursue a BIOS upgrade (ROM chip), but considering #4
above, I don't think that's the problem.
6) I looked in modules -027 for mention of an SIIG driver.  No find.
Again, I consider #4 to point my suspicions elsewhere.
7) I'm surmising that I haven't gotten far enough thru the boot
process and uncompresses to have the report program available (as
proscribbed in the docs).

Obviously, I would appreciate any help.  Thank you in advance.

Gene Holmerud