Many Thanks (Was: Re: MAJOR Console Errors)

Mike Cantrell yomahz@devnull.org
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 21:17:48 -0700

:)

If you remember one rule, remember this:

1) only be root when you have to

If you want a second rule:

2) when you are root, move slow, and deliberately and when possible test the
results before doing them.

example:
when you want to rm -rf r*
do ls -la r* first so you can be sure exactly what the end results will
include.

I know it's common sense but common sense isn't always practiced. If you
develope good habits early, they stick. It may save your job one day :)

Regards,
Mike Cantrell