My crusade for web content filtering

Kevin Saling networkpro@email.com
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 12:18:23 -0700

> There is one very large problem with the way you are suggesting doing your
> block.  You would have to buffer the whole page and scan if with your list
> of dirty words. Then provide a completely alternate page if you dont find
> anything.

Brian, I would actually need an alternate page if I DO find any hits.  I'm
sure that's what you meant.  ;-)  Anyway, the buffering is certainly a
problem.  While I'm not developer, I can't see any way around this.

> I think that the best you can do with a content proxy is to put
> something in
> the datastream like "Innappropriate content found, connection severed".
> Doing it that would would also be much easier to write, and would
> take very
> very little memory.
>
> Brian Cluff

Brian, I'm a little confused by this.  How does this avoid the buffering
problem?  My original thought was to do exactly what you suggest.  I was
thinking of scanning for keywords and, upon a hit, replacing all the
characters in the page with a simple text message.  However, this has all
the buffering and performance problems you mentioned in your post.

...Kevin