things started to look

Rod Roark rod@sunsetsystems.com
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 05:23:53 -0700

On Tue, 01 Aug 2000, you wrote:
> I installed both the 13GB HDD w/o the IDE removable rack. Sounded better
> already with the vibrating having stopped.
>
> Looked good as I installed mandrake 7.1. Only problem was the
> pointer/cursur was a large white block! (BTW, 13GB dos is primary

Sounds like a compatibility issue with the video card.  Try a Deja News
search in comp.os.linux.hardware to see if anyone there has solved the
problem.

> master, cdrom slave on IDE1 and the lone 13GB as 2nd IDE master for
> linux).
>
> So now linux boots! (except for the cursor problem).  Using Lilo I then
> wanted to get back to DOS to all my data and DOS programs. NOPE!
> Wouldn't boot to DOS (win98). Trying to use fdisk from linux
>     fdisk /mbr   -- unable to open mbr
>     fdisk /dev/hds /mbr  -- gives me a bit of a help list

/mbr is an option for DOS fdisk, not Linux.  But you don't want to do
that anyway 'cause it will wipe out LILO.  Instead, add this to your
lilo.conf:

  other=/dev/hda1
     label=dos
     table=/dev/hda

then rerun lilo, reboot and type "dos" at the prompt.

Hope this helps...

-- Rod