snmp and mrtg

Joel Hanger jhanger@uswest.net
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 23:56:16 -0700

Robert Leonard wrote:

> Joel,
>
> I use mrtg successfully at numerous sites, i have a few observations,
>
> 1. Dump the public community, change change change it. It's a potential
> security issue.

    How would I change the community name? just use a different name than
public
     when I run mrtg or cfgmaker?

> 2. Have you tried ./cfgmaker communityname@ipaddress >file.cfg. The notable
> difference is dumping the use of a fqdn and going straight for the IP?  Some
> times mrtg is crazy like that.

    I tried with the ip address and the fqdn.  When I outputted to a file it
just gave me a
    little banner thing.

> 3.  You did not specifically mention whether your snmp service was actually
> up.  The error you are getting is what i normally get when I have not
> properly configured the target snmp service.

    I did run the snmp daemon, but I'm not sure how to configure it?

> Last but not least, i'd post this to the mrtg listserv, it's actually very
> good and quite responsive.
>
> Please provide a follow up when you can...

Sincerely,
    Joel Hanger