resolving nslookup

Wizaerd wizaerd@wizaerd.com
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 23:08:33 -0700

Before I proceed into this message, I just want to thank everyone who has
been kind enough to answer my questions regarding sendmail and DNS issues.
I understand that the majority of answers are available on line in various
HOWTOs and informational sites, but one of the least desirable things for me
is to be sitting in front of my computer (on this tiny little 15" monitor)
reading page after page of documentation, most of which makes very little
sense, and even more that is not an interesting topic for me.  This list has
been an extremely valuable resource for getting answers quickly, enabling me
to move onto subjects that are far more interesting for me.

I know that may sound a bit pompous, and I apologize, but the inner workings
of DNS and various other tools is not necessarily my forte.  I'm doing this
more so to become familiar with Apache, the OS as an OS (not a Web
administrator) and to learn PHP programming.  So again, I thank everyone for
their patience and friendly attitude!

I've been dinking around with setting up my DNS as a caching only name
server (not because I want to know about DNS persay, but in order to set up
sendmail...) and have been following a document I found online.  However,
after following the instructions precisley (or as close as could be allowed
given various directory differences) I thought I had it all set up.
Unfortunately, when I run nslookup, I get the following output:

[root@belgarath wizaerd]# nslookup
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.3.1: Non-existent host/domain
Default Server:  phnxpop1.phnx.uswest.net
Address:  206.80.192.1

Here's how my system is setup.  I'm on Mandrake version 7.0, and I have two
NIC cards.  One is connected via DHCP to US West VDSL.  The second I've
assigned an IP of 192.168.1.1 and it is connected to a Win98 box.  I have
DHCPD running to assign a new IP to the Win98 box (it was simpler to setup)
and that IP always resolves to 192.168.1.2.  This 192.168.3.1 that shows up
in the nslookup makes no sense to me.

I've gone into linuxconf to set the primary search IP to be 192.168.1.1, but
when I reboot, it resets itself to 192.168.3.1.  I wonder if this is because
I am using DHCPD to assign an IP to the Win98 machine?  Regardless, I still
cannot get the nslookup to actually see the 192.168.1.1 unless I issue a
specific server while in nslookup.

Off the cuff, would anybody know what I may be missing here?

THANX!!

Joseph E. Sheble
a.k.a. Wizaerd
Wizaerd's Realm