Report: SGI Linux University

Robert Leonard robertbleonard@hotmail.com
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:56:23 PDT

I got there at the end of the keynote, that might be just the right time
depending on your preference.  What I heard was sgi is adhering to the open
source requirements for specific products, they mentioned numerous times
that with out it, their enhancements won't even be considered.

Linux is a strategy for them only on the INTEL platform.  Repeat, ONLY ON
THE INTEL PLATFORM.  IRIX will maintain it's position on the MIPS.

Clustering:

Presentation was OK, nothing spectacular.  Personally don't remember much
worth wasting the bandwidth over...

XFS

The SGI XFS is available at oss.sgi.com , no registration nada zip, just d/l
it, it's 21mb with a 1.6mb patch.

I untarred it, viewed the readme, but ran out of time to install today, so
maybe this weekend.....

The XFS is "free", while thier advanced CXFS will cost, and with hardware
cost alot, the CXFS is definately meant for heavy data serving environment.

Internet/E-commerce;

Practically nothing of value here, as der hans said, I'm sure the presenter
was knowledgeable, but it didn't come thru at this presentation.  He showed
numerous slides with various patches/hacks/.conf configurations, but no meat
and potatoes here. ( definately not like the zope presentation was).

Very disappointed in this one...and the fact that they cancelled the
security seminar...but given the quality of the last seminar, maybe it was a
good thing....

Saw a few plugger's there, Kevin O'connor got a Tux toy for admitting in
public he knew something about java programming, Hans got one for a mention
of IRIX at thelinuxstore.com (who the hell is thier cto anyway? probably
some slacker!! ;) )

Anyway, they had a programming track, which i didn't attend so can't comment
on....