Anyone else go to SGI's Linux University?

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 12:24:51 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Mike Cantrell wrote:

> If so, what did you think? Looked like one big advertisment to me. If
> you didn't go, you didn't miss much (except for some pretty cool SGI
> Servers).

I wasn't expecting much other than advertising, but SGI usually has better
stuff to advertise :).

The XFS and CXFS stuff was pretty cool, but I'm familiar with journalled
file systems, so I was interested in the ads about what those two are and
what they do. Full GPL is cool. XFS looks nice and CXFS looks pretty
sweet. Transparent fs clustering would be pretty damned cool :).

The clustering talk was somewhat interesting. They're not the only ones
doing that, but it's nice to know they're doing it with Linux.

The web/e-commerce talk sucked pretty bad. I was interested in seeing what
they had for e-commerce, but we ended up just getting some basic info
about apache and a few configuration tips (several of which were
outdated). Useful to some, not to me. The mini Tux with the SGI tattoo on
the belly didn't make up for that one...

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.OpNIX.com