pci fiasco

Shawn T. Rutledge rutledge@cx47646-a.phnx1.az.home.com
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:44:14 -0700

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 04:48:07PM -0700, Joel Dudley wrote:
> I have two Linksys ethernet cards in a firewall system that I am configuring
> (finally got the new linksys modules installed!).  Anyway, the NIC's are
> working fine, I just cant figure out which physical card correlated to eth0
> or eth1.  I thought that the IRQ's would be descending, thus the interface

Do they have blinkenlights?  Hook em both up to the hub, ping via eth0
and see which blinks.

> with IRQ 10 is in the topmost slot and the interface with IRQ 11 is in the
> bottomost slot.  It doesnt seem to be this way on my computer however.

Heh, no rules there I don't think... I hope it's at least deterministic.
PCI seems to have some concept of slot number, because the BIOS-generated
"frame" of config info that comes up right before the system actually tries
to boot, shows what's in each slot on some systems.  So I imagine it does
probe the slots in order but the mobo manufacturer would be free to number
their slots however they want.  And the BIOS probably just dishes out
IO's and IRQ's on a first-come-first-served basis, as it detects each
card.

My 3c509's have their IRQs and port addresses stored in FLASH or something
like that... you set them with a DOS utility and they never change after
that unless you are using a PnP OS.  And the kernel parameters map one
IRQ/port combo to eth0 and the other to eth1.

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)          http://www.bigfoot.com/~ecloud  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org