pci fiasco

Mark Peoples hondaman@mainex1.asu.edu
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:00:11 -0700

I knew which ones were which when I installed the 2nd card, but you could
probably find out by pinging a system on your local network. By knowing the
routing, and by seeing traffic on the hub (assuming you have a hub) or by
the LED on the NIC (again, if your NIC has an LED), you'll be able to tell
99% that that card is eth0 or eth1.

Geez...today was long...no idea if what I just said is
comprehendible...either way, I'll have something more understandable in a
few mins.

-----Original Message-----
From: joel@silverw.com [mailto:joel@silverw.com]
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2000 4:48 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: pci fiasco

I have two Linksys ethernet cards in a firewall system that I am configuring
(finally got the new linksys modules installed!).  Anyway, the NIC's are
working fine, I just cant figure out which physical card correlated to eth0
or eth1.  I thought that the IRQ's would be descending, thus the interface
with IRQ 10 is in the topmost slot and the interface with IRQ 11 is in the
bottomost slot.  It doesnt seem to be this way on my computer however.
Anyone have experience with this?  I guess I could just go into the BIOS and
set resources manually.  Maybe I should make sure the numbers in cat
/proc/pci make sense with the numbers from ifconfig.  Thanks in advance for
anyone who has advice on this issue.  Maybe if I get this firewall going I
can stop calling myself a newbie and upgrade to user.  Must keep approaching
every linux situation as a newbie if I want to be a good Zen monk though I
guess.

- Joel

PS  First time at a meeting last night and I must say it was fun.  I look
forward to further meetings.  (I am the big dufus that won the Corel Linux
box in the raffle)