Linux Server

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 23:44:30 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Cindy Fox wrote:

> Hello, All!

moin, moin Cindy,

> I would like to bring a machine to the meeting tomorrow for setup, but no
> one has responded to the formmail on the website.  Will anyone be able to

I'll look into that. Sorry about the lack of response.

> help me if I bring a machine?  Do I need to bring a monitor?
>
> Some Qs:
>
> Will my current stuff get trashed and need to be reloaded?  ( I would assume
> so).

Don't have to be but presume it will, e.g. make sure you have at least one
good backup of whatever you want to keep :).

> How stable is a dual boot Linux/Win 9x machine?

Very stable if you leave Linux running all the time ;-).

> Should I bring:
>
> haha:
>     - 386 with no cdrom or network card.

No cdrom or network card? Ouch. Otherwise it'd be fun to try. Linux will
run really well for some purposes on a 386, but one wants either a cdrom
or a good network pipe to do the install.

> maybe:
>     - Pentium 133 with cdrom and network card and 128 MB RAM

This should be fine. Use it as your experiment and we'll help you move the
other one to all Linux once you've professed to understand the one true
faith of Open Source :).

128MB of RAM? Wow, we could install a firewall and make 3 backup copies in
RAM!

How much HD space do you have avialable? That's the real question. Also
what do you want to do with the box? Presumably you don't run a duel-boot
firewall :). Desktop? Any particular apps or functionality?

Bring monitor, keyboard, mouse, cabling and anything else that will get
physically connected to the box that you want to work under Linux.

Do you have any preferences as to what distribution you'd like to have?

> Don't really want to as it's my main machine:
>     - Pentium 500 with cdrom and network card and 128 MB RAM
>
> Don't care, but don't think it'll work:
>     - Compaq Laptop Pentium 133 with cdrom and network card and 40 MB RAM.

Should go pretty easy. Compaq is notorious for doing strange things with
their hardware, especially laptops, but I've been lucky so far that at
least one dist installs well on them. The biggest prob on that is probably
lack of video RAM.

> Opinion?  Contact point?
>
> Will there be someone/anyone to help me?
>
> Can I bring my boys?  :)  Big one (husband) takes care of the little one (7
> months).  :)

Bring the whole family. Bring the neighborhood block watch. Bring Wallace
and Ladmo! :)

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.OpNIX.com
#  Practice socially consious hedonism. Do whatever you want,