Upgrades was Re: Caldera OpenLinux 2.4 vs Redhat

Patrick Stoddard wd9ewk@yahoo.com
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 15:35:15 -0700 (PDT)

--- "J.L.Francois" <frenchie@magusnet.gilbert.az.us>
wrote:

><snip>
>
> I would be interested in hearing  other
> peoples experiences with system upgrades
> that didn't involve reboots or
> reconstructing config files from backups
> by hand.

I just went from Red Hat 6.1 to 6.2 with a CD, and
as it upgrades the packages it writes a file
/tmp/upgrade.log with all the packages that were
updated, listing any configuration files that were
changed (the old ones get an .rpmsave appended to
them) and any other configuration file that was not
changed but installed as part of the process (those
have an .rpmnew after the name).  This way, you can
compare the files that were on the system to those
from the new install, and either use the new ones
with any other customizations you might want to put
in them, or revert to the old files.

Not a bad process, although Red Hat has a knack of
putting on some stuff even if you did not select it.
I use GNOME and I ended up with the latest GNOME
stuff and all the kde-related packages after the
upgrade.  I keep the bare minimum of KDE-related
stuff on the drive if I want to run programs intended
for a KDE environment, but I don't need competing
versions of tools that would be supplied in both
GNOME and KDE.

I have not tried the RH 6.2 CD for an install on a
new system yet, wonder how that works compared to the
minor glitches in RH 6.1......

Back to work.....

Patrick Stoddard