FreeWWWeb

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 12:47:07 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Patrick Stoddard wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> After jumping through some hoops in configuring a
> dialup connection on my ThinkPad (have only used
> Ethernet network connections before now), it *is*
> working.
>
> Since the phone lines at the office were cut by
> MCI WorldCom's attempt to install some new fiber-
> optic cables on Osborn Road yesterday, I am trying
> this on my Sprint PCS phone (it has a built-in V.90
> modem throttled down to 14.4K).  Works great!  I
> won't use it often with the Sprint phone, since
> Sprint PCS bills separately for data use compared

Hmm, when I bought my phone last week explicitly for the data connection
capabilities they said there's no extra surcharge for data minutes. There
is a $10/mo charge for the data service which is waived for the first 6mo.

> to voice use - and my Nokia phone knows when it is
> in data mode, since there is a special cable to
> connect the bottom of the phone to a DB-9 port on my
> ThinkPad.
>
> This ISP says you need to start with their home page
> when you connect to them (a page that will redirect
> to snap.com), and that you need to use the account for
> at least 10 hours a month (and you get 80 free hours

Didn't see the minimum when I looked at stuff last night. 10 hours/mo on a
modem? Ouch! ;-)

Hook up a box to dialup an hour a night when you're asleep...

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.OpNIX.com
#  Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --