CodeWarrior X problem

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 00:03:06 -0700

Hi Ed,

The problem is that the default visual of your new machine is at
depth 32.  This was a problem in the first release of CodeWarrior for
Linux (i.e, the one for Red Hat linux).  However, I think that this
bug was fixed shortly before I left Metrowerks.

I spoke with my former manager at Metrowerks about your problem and he
told me that I should give you his contact info; I think it's likely
that he'll provide you with an updated binary at little or no charge.
(One of the things that Metrowerks is legendary for is their excellent
customer support.)

As an interim solution, you might try running your display at depth
16.  You could also try depth 24, but we found that some displays
automagically go to 32 when you attempt to set them to 24.  You can
(probably) change your depth by editing your /etc/X11/XF86Config file
and changing the ``Depth 32'' line to ``Depth 16''.  (Be sure to make
a backup copy of this file first before changing it.) Also, you'll
need to restart your X server after making this change.

If that doesn't work for changing your depth, you may need to send me
your XF86Config file so that I can make a more informed suggestion.
(It's possible to have multiple depths specified for a particular
screen in this file in which case you'd probably want to add or change
the ``DefaultColorDepth'' entry.)

I will send you the name and email address of the person to contact
at Metrowerks via private email.

Best regards,

Kevin